Zero Waste Living for you and your family

Needle Safety, the Hard Way

Needle Safety, the Hard Way

Last night we learned the hard way about needle safety, while playing a McBurney Park (aka. Skeleton Park).

We were visiting the park after school as usual, and Kohen came running up to me. He said in an excited voice with a smile on his face:

Kohen: "We found some needles. Ryann poked herself with it."

Me: "WHAT? You found what? You found needles? Where? How? She poked herself? Where?"

Kohen: "It was an accident. She poked her finger. She tried to get me and Scarlett to poke our fingers too".

Me: Looking at my friends: "Shit. What do I do now" "Tell Ryann to come here very fast". I then call Jamin who has a mini panic attack on the phone and drives over very quickly.

Ryann comes over and indeed she poked herself in her finger (right near a cut that was already open). We take her to wash her hands and go find the needles. The needles were laying on the ground right under a tree. A tree kids regularly under and around. 

Jamin took Ryann to the Children's Outpatient at Hotel Dieu. The kids and I stay at the park, hang out for a while and then head over to play with friends. 

The doctors took some blood (several vials) and then let us know that the probability of a serious infection/disease is very minimal but we should check blood for the next several months as a precaution - agreed!

It was a scary incident for everyone involved. All the other parents at the park used this as a teaching lesson for their children and I wanted to share this with you so that you can teach children as well. Adults were on edge and so were the kids. 

We spoke with all three of our older children about needles and how they should never touch them if they find. They should immediately come find an adult and let them know. 

Why? Why? They ask. We explained to our children that sometimes people who use needles are sick. When they poke the needle into their blood, the blood can stay on the needle. If we get some of the sick blood in our blood (by poking ourselves with the needle too) we could also get sick. 

Lesson learned. When living in the city or near a city, teach your kids about needle safety. There has been little incidents similar to this in the neighborhood for quite some time. Last I heard about it was several years ago when all my children were young. It had never occurred to me to teach them about needle safety. Now we know. Now we can be safer. 

Please share this with your family and friends, especially those with young children. 

 



8 Responses

Meghan
Meghan

September 18, 2016

Hi Natalie, scary! Thanks for the heads up. I will pass this on so that others are aware. Big hug, Megs

Natalie
Natalie

September 17, 2016

Most people do hold judgements towards people and their situation in life. I do not judge those that are in that situation or any situation. I do not know what journey they have travelled and what has brought them to be in that particular situation/place (whatever it may be). I wish for help and support for those individuals. It must be a very difficult place they are in :(

Christina
Christina

September 17, 2016

Ho shit! I just read about this on the kingston police page! Glad everyone is ok, and it was absolutely a teaching moment.

Jessica
Jessica

September 17, 2016

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing!
I have a daughter who is also almost 5 and we are teaching her about that stuff! I am a peer at Street Health Center and yes they will come and pick up the needles and any other supplies that are there with it!
I would just like to add that this is the first post (about this topic) I have seen without judgement towards the people that left those needles there! I love that this is for awareness and teaching!

Kellie
Kellie

September 16, 2016

I sat next to your daughter and husband in Urgent Care last night. So glad this seems to have ended well. She’s been on my mind all day.

Karrie
Karrie

September 16, 2016

Ive saw a drug deal in Skeleton Park a couple of weeks ago. And it was in broad daylight! I believe if you call Street Health and make them aware of the location of the needles they will come out and clean them up, might also be a good idea to make them aware so they can visit the area and pick them up on a regular basis. Ive also read about peanut butter being spread on the playground equipment in other cities and this endangers any child with a peanut allergy. So sorry this happened to you and your little one, praying things remain negative in the testing.

Leona
Leona

September 16, 2016

Omg Natalie! This is horrible! Thank you for sharing … I always talk to my kids about drugs and drug addicts … But we have never talked about needles. Hugs for Ryann.

Betty Cooper
Betty Cooper

September 16, 2016

Poor child. This is the reason I check out ALL parks when I take my grandkids to them. Skeleton Park does have a bad reputation for broke bottles too. I never let the kids go barefoot either. I also check the slides for razor blades glued on them or pee on the bottom. In Ottawa a few years ago parents found glued razor blades glued on slides.

Leave a comment


Also in BLOG

Booster Seat Safety ... and Beyond!
Booster Seat Safety ... and Beyond!

Forward-Facing Car Seat Safety
Forward-Facing Car Seat Safety

Rear-Facing Car Seat Safety
Rear-Facing Car Seat Safety

Here's a concise explanation for why rear-facing as long as possible is best for your child and how to get the best fit in the 5-point harness when they are rear-facing.